Resolving Water Events of All Sizes Fast Is How SERVPRO Protects San Antonio Homes from Big Losses
Small water damage big problems
Famous last words from a homeowner struggling with expensive and disruptive water property destruction often start with a rueful statement that the cause seemed like a relatively minor problem. Mopping up a puddle inside a cabinet or putting down a towel under the refrigerator because you believe, without any real proof, that the kids spill water daily, quickly show to be inadequate short term “band-aid” solutions. We can help residential property owners in San Antonio when water loss circumstances require comprehensive and analytical assessment and permanent professional resolutions.
Storm Damage to your San Antonio Home
SERVPRO here for San Antonio
The end of winter and the onset of spring often brings storms in the San Antonio area that leave a lot of precipitation and damage. If your home is subjected to high winds, snow, sleet, and rain, you may have to call the professionals for restoration. Our team at SERVPRO understands how unpredictable the weather can be, which is why we have specialized processes in place to tackle all your flood mitigation needs.
Should you have flood damage in San Antonio, taking quick action to mitigate appropriately is critical. Even though the floodwaters recede, they leave behind sludge filled with bacteria and other contaminants. Known as black water, floodwater must be addressed carefully so that you and your family can get back to life as usual without potential health hazards. With a simple phone call, we deploy a team that comes out to your home, perform an assessment, and put cleanup measures into motion to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Initial Restoration Measures
Any carpeting throughout your home impacted by floodwater is usually discarded if it is unable to be cleaned thoroughly and restored. Our skilled technicians know how to quickly perform pack-out services that help remove electronics, furnishings, and other belongings from areas near moisture. Items must be relocated to dry, safe places so that moisture does not take hold. Any damaged items that can be restored are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized, followed by deodorization. Items that are not salvageable can be replaced.
Our trained technicians go through your home to determine the best places for flood cuts in the drywall. Floodwater gets behind baseboards and starts to wick up the drywall, so cutting away enough drywall several inches above the area of saturation helps to prevent mold infestation. Flood cuts allow SERVPRO technicians to speed up the drying process by setting up air movers to get into the wall cavities. We also use dehumidifiers to help further removal of vapors from the air.
SERVPRO of North Central San Antonio is available whenever you need assistance with flood damage restoration. Give our team a call at (210) 899-1017, and we send out a team to begin the assessment process. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for emergency service.
Contact SERVPRO North Central San Antonio immediately during a water, fire or storm 210-899-1017
Besides fire, water can be the most devastating force when it comes to standing structures. At SERVPRO North Central San Antonio we’re no stranger to water’s wily ways, and we’re passionate about helping home and business owners whose properties have suffered water damage. Whether it’s a natural flood, a broken pipe, or a leaky roof, our efficiency, experience, and attention to detail are the answer to your water damage problem.
When it comes to water restoration, we move quickly and with excellence to remediate leaks and floods. If you have had a leak or flood call us today at 210-899-1017 also www.SERVPROnorthcentralsanantonio.com/
We have crews ready 24/7 ready to help you get your property back to preloss condition. "Like it never even happened."
Signs of Water Damage
Water Damage Clean Up
• POOLING WATER OR PUDDLES. ONE OF THE MOST OBVIOUS SIGNS OF WATER DAMAGE ARE POOLS OF WATER IN UNUSUAL PLACES THAT RETURN AFTER YOU’VE CLEANED THEM UP.
• MOLD. THERE IS NO MOLD WITHOUT WATER DAMAGE AND THIS SIGN OCCURS MOST OFTEN IN BATHROOMS AND BASEMENTS.
• DISCOLORATION. IF YOU NOTICE STREAKS OF DISCOLORATION DOWN YOUR WALLS OR STAINING YOUR CEILING, THERE’S PROBABLY A LEAK.
• SOUND. SOMETIMES YOU CAN’T SEE WATER DAMAGE, BUT YOU CAN HEAR DRIPPING WATER, CREAKING FLOOR BOARDS, OR EVEN RUSHING WATER.
Here at SERVPRO North Central San Antonio we have professionals ready 24/7 , 365 days a year for your water restoration needs. Call us today at 210-899-1017 or visit us at www.SERVPROnorthcentralsanantonio.com/
We make it look "Like it never even happened."
Know what's Coming so you're prepared
Stay in the loop with the weather.
As new weather forecast models and radar systems have been developed in the last several decades; meteorologists are able to more closely watch and predict upcoming weather systems. For the last half-century, or so the vast majority of people got their updates on the weather for the day and week from their local weatherman. Television was king along with a sliver of radio and in some fashion, local print news. With the advent of the internet though many more people now to receive the weather forecast for their local area through digital mediums relying less on television news. Being the cast it is still important for individuals to choose their media outlets wisely before taking what the site presents as conclusive.
Just a few tips to make sure you’re being given the best information weather-wise.
- Investigate to learn if the website or app you’re using for local weather updates is actually reviewed by actual people, or is it a computer just generating the report. That can be done by going to the about us or contact us page to learn if the team is located locally, or nationally. If it’s national then the chances are much higher it is generated by a computer and not deeply analyzed by a local news meteorologist for accuracy.
- Secondly, while new, innovative technologies have made weather forecasting a much more efficient process it is still not completely accurately especially with long-range forecasts that go out over a week. Typically forecast that goes out that far aren’t as reliable.
- Lastly, do a bit of research on weather forecasting of your own. Beforehand without the internet, the need to rely on local meteorologists to explain weather occurrences was much greater due to many people not knowing that much about the weather. Now everyone, for the most part, has access to this information.
4 Steps to preventing mold growth after Flood
Bathroom wall with Mold
Step One – Remove Affected Materials
Aside from stopping the source of the moisture, it’s important to promptly remove wet furnishings and porous materials from the flooded area to enable a thorough damage-assessment, and drying and restoring contents that have not been compromised.
Some of it - such as wet/moldy carpet, drywall, upholstery and fabrics - will need to be discarded.
Vacuum using HEPA-wet-dry vacuums to remove moisture, mold and soils without spreading allergenic or unhealthy mold and dust particles around your home. According to the IICRC, "It is preferable to use a HEPA vacuum, but a simple wet/dry vacuum can work. When using a wet/dry vacuum, attach a hose to the exhaust and vent the exhaust air to the outside. This keeps dust, spores and other fine particles from being suspended in the air and settling back on clean surfaces."
In the case of minor “clean” flooding, say from a small burst indoor water pipe, homeowners can remove smaller wet items themselves, but should wear goggles, gloves, long sleeves and an N-95 respirator to avoid exposure to mold spores that may already be present in the environment.
Clean mold from smooth surfaces using a weak bleach-water solution (1/4 - 1/2 cup bleach per gallon of water). Use gloves, eye and skin protection and plenty of ventilation. If you are sensitive to mold or chemicals, have someone else do it.
If the flooding is excessive and/or “dirty” - e.g., from a rising river or sewer backup - expert help is needed to protect health and property.
Step Two – Dry It Out and Quickly
Mold spores are everywhere, but need moisture to “germinate” – so drying affected areas is Step Two. Since mold can grow within 24 to 48 hours, quick action is critical.
Aside from obviously wet areas, experts using special meters can check for and locate moisture - even finding hidden wet/moldy places, such as inside wall cavities - and implement techniques to enable a thorough drying-out process. They may also use special fans or “air-scrubbing” equipment with HEPA filters. See also Step Three.
Step Three – Air It Out
The flooded, wet area will need fresh air and ventilation to dry it out, but take care not to spread mold spores around your home by improper “airing”. Consult with an IICRC-certified firm to set up “containment”– a fancy word that means keeping doors closed, putting up plastic sheeting, exhausting air to the outdoors, and other measures to enable the drying and ventilation process without exposing loved ones to contaminated air from the flooded area.
Step Four – Keep it Dry to Keep It Out
The cardinal rule for preventing mold growth is – Keep it Dry. Strive to ensure your home’s insides are staying dry. It’s also a way to protect the investment of your home, since excess mold growth and moisture will damage the structure, in addition to potentially causing health effects.
Try to keep indoor humidity below 50% using air conditioning or a dehumidifier. Have carpets cleaned by professionals that use equipment to clean and properly dry your carpet.
SERVPRO of North Central San Antonio are professional mold specialists who can help you with your mold problem! (210) 899-1017
HOW TO PREVENT AND PREPARE FOR FIRE
Preventing & Preparing for Fire
HOW TO PREVENT AND PREPARE FOR FIRE
There’s a reason why we do regular fire safety drills in schools and workplaces — it’s important to be prepared in the case of an emergency! If the worst does happen, and your home or office suffers fire damage, SERVPRO North Central San Antonio is ready to help. But we also are committed to helping educate and help prevent fire damage in the first place. Here are a few ways to prepare for a fire:
- Install smoke alarms and test them once a month
- Teach children what the smoke alarm sounds like and what to do if one goes off
- Make sure everyone in the building knows at least two ways to escape
- Designate a meeting place after everyone leaves the building
WHAT TO DO IF A FIRE STARTS
If a fire has started in your home or business, it’s vital to understand what you should do to keep you, your family, and your co-workers safe. If a fire starts, follow these steps:
- Know how to operate a fire extinguisher
- Yell “Fire!” to help save others in the building
- Get out, stay out, and call 9-1-1. Leave your belongings
- If there is smoke, get low and cover your mouth and nose
- If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop, and roll
Mold infestation let SERVPRO North Central Help!
Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or on a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent
Fire damage Restoration
Aftermath of Kitchen Fire
Smoke. Soot. Structural damage. Fire damage can make your home or business uninhabitable and leave you in an expensive world of hurt. The good news is, SERVPRO North Central San Antonio is here to return your property to its original condition.
A house fire can result in serious damage, but something people don’t always think about is the impact of smoke on your home’s structure, personal items, and air quality. Smoke is very acidic, and effects every surface and item in your property, which is why it is a key part of fire damage restoration.
It is important to start restoration as quickly as possible when smoke damage is involved. The longer smoke and soot are in your building, the more costly and difficult restoration will be.The smallest fire can leave your home or business permanently smelling like smoke — and large blazes result in both fire and water damage.
If you’re facing the after effects of a fire, let us help you move forward with excellence and care. We’re here to make everything "Like it never even happened."
We understand the emotional trauma, expense, and devastation that comes with a blaze of any size, and we’re in the restoration business because we have a passion for bringing relief to people who really need it. If you have fire and or water damage call us today at (210) 899-1017 or visit us at www.SERVPROnorthcentralsanantonio.com/
Contents Restoration Services
Ceramic Angels covered in soot aftermath of fire
CONTENTS RESTORATION WITH SERVPRO NORTH CENTRAL SAN ANTONIO
From furniture to antiques, to artwork and appliances, we'll treat your treasures with the care they deserve. While some items can be cleaned on-site, in many cases we'll need to inventory, pack out and transport the contents of your property to our state-of-the-art facility to ensure the best care possible.
- Contents may need to be cleaned off-site
- Contents inventory
- Determine replacement and restoration
- Ozone treatment
- Odor removal
- We arrive on-site and inventory all of your personal belongings.
- We carefully pack all salvable items to transport to our secure warehouse and cleaning facility.
- Unsalvageable contents are inventoried and discarded.
- Thorough cleaning
- Proper handling of all electronics
- Photographs and artwork
- Soft goods
- Dry Cleaning
- Odor Removal
If you have content restoration needs please call us at (210) 899-1017 or visit us at www.SERVPROnorthcentralsanantonio.com/