Flood Cleanup Requirements
Dealing with a flooded home in San Antonio, TX means much more than being faced with unwanted water and drying out the house. If the waters were caused by Mother Nature, it may bring contaminates and microorganisms into your home. Anything that water touches requires additional cleaning requirements to ensure it is done right. After calling your insurance company to make a claim, your next call should be to a water damage restoration specialist. They will have the tools and techniques to ensure the flood clean up process is done right.
The Cleaning Process
Once you get the approval of your insurance company, you can begin cleaning and preparing your home for restoration. Below are important steps to take:
- Document all areas and items that were affected.
- Remove any mud that has built up.
- Dispose of wet items that can’t be cleaned. Be sure to take photos of the items.
- Any clothing, bedding, rugs and other textiles should be washed in hot, soapy water.
- Dishes, silverware and other kitchen items should be run through the dishwasher or cleaned with antibacterial soap.
- Use a special flood disinfectant on every surface that has been exposed to floodwaters.
- Move wet furniture and similar items that can be salvaged to a dry, secure location.
When it comes to cleaning requirements for flooding, safety should also be the top priority. Depending on the severity of the damage, it may mean wading through contaminated waters or dealing with a significant amount of leftover debris. Proper PPE should be worn when working in a flooded area. That should include long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, goggles, face mask, disposable gloves and disposable booties. A flood can leave a big mess that means extra cleaning requirements. Instead of feeling overwhelmed, trust a professional that is Faster to Any Size Disaster to ensure the cleanup is done fast and the right way.
Call SERVPRO of North Central San Antonio for your storm or flood needs at: 210-899-1017